Municipal services

Kapyong Barracks Redevelopment: Winnipeg to Provide Municipal Services

Treaty 1 Nations and the City of Winnipeg have reached a proposed agreement for the city to provide municipal services at the site of the former Kapyong Barracks.

In a press release on Wednesday, the city announced that the two groups had reached the Gaawijijigemangit Agreement, which is a municipal development and services agreement, for the proposed urban reserve at the Naawi-Oodena site.

The agreement stipulates that Treaty One Nation will develop the site in collaboration with the Canada Lands Company (CLC). Treaty One Nation will develop 68% of the land, with CLC developing the remaining 32%.

Winnipeg has agreed to provide services for the Nawa-Oodena site in a scope and manner consistent with the rest of the city. However, as Treaty One Nation grows and builds, it may choose to provide various services on the Site.

Chief Gordon BlueSky, President of Treaty One Nation, said it was a time to celebrate the legacy of First Nations leadership.

“For two decades, they have worked to reclaim our rightful place in Treaty 1 territory. The Gaawijijigemangit agreement is a symbol of meaningful government-to-government collaboration and respectful negotiations,” he said.

“The Agreement is a big step forward in expanding the leadership of Treaty 1 Nations in Manitoba’s economy.

The Treaty One Nations Board of Directors approved the deal on May 27. Now, City Council approval is required before signing Treaty One with the seven First Nations.

This proposed agreement is the result of discussions, reviews and analysis of best practices.

The agreement provides the framework for future collaboration, with the city and Treaty One Nation recognizing that a development of this scale will require ongoing work. The two groups have therefore agreed on the creation of a joint committee which will contribute to the implementation and ongoing administration of the agreement.

Winnipeg general manager Michael Jack said the collaborative approach to the Gaawijijigemangit deal is unlike anything he’s known.

“While two other urban reserves currently exist in the City of Winnipeg, Naawi-Oodena is relatively new in terms of size, scale of potential development and scope of activities to be included,” he said.

The proposed deal will be presented to the city’s policy executive committee on June 15.

Once it is officially approved, the land is expected to be added to the reservation soon after, with the Treaty 1 nation hoping to move forward with development plans.